Embochure/Apeture

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Embochure/Apeture

Post  jsparaci on Mon May 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi Allen, a few questions.

1. Do you keep the your embochure/upper planted on the mouthpiece as you go to a higher register or as your lips tighten does the top of your mouth pivot? I'm struggling with this.

2. I know that you hold your right thumb between the first and second valve casing. Is your thumb straight or is it bent?

3. Are you applying pressure on the right thumb as you play for your fingers to move faster / quicker or is it just for stability?

Thanks
John

jsparaci

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Embochure/Apeture

Post  Allen_Vizzutti on Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 pm

!) My upper lip is basically in the same place for all ranges. I don't tighten my lips. I actually relax them in the middle. I don't know what you mean by "top of the mouth pivot" - sorry.
2) My thumb is placed comfortably. WIth my hands that means bent.
3) My entire right hand is relaxed when I play very quickly. I do use aggressive down stroke on the valves.
Hope this helps.
Allen_Vizzutti
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  jsparaci on Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks Allen. Your answers bring some clarity.

jsparaci

View user profile

Back to top Go down

herbert clark

Post  jsparaci on Fri May 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Allen, btw the comment I made about tightening of the lips comes from H.L. Clark "Technical Studies for the Cornet" on pg.5 under first study. It says "Tighten the lips slightly in ascending lines, loosen them in the descending lines" Maybe I misunderstood this. The word pivot I've heard from my trumpet instructor as well as others is when you move the horn/bell up when playing high and lower when playing lower notes. I guess this was also wrong. The primary problem I'm having which I discovered from my teacher is I have 2 embochure's. I am now correcting this knowing your embochure should stay the same and not be reset when changing registers. Thanks again.

jsparaci

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Correction

Post  jsparaci on Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Sorry, I meant the horn moves down when playing high and high when playing low. In any case it's wrong

jsparaci

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Embochure/Apeture

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum