Best Vizzutti Experiences/Memories

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best Vizzutti Experiences/Memories

Post  NICK5L on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 am

Please share your most memorable Vizzutti experience in this thread! Whether that was a live performance, masterclass, a memory associated with one of his recordings, or a personal interaction you've had with Allen. I've noticed a lot of young musicians remember the first time they met Allen Vizzutti quite well, and often share on Facebook where it gets buried in a myriad of other subjects. Allen loves to hear the stories of those he's touched or inspired, its part of what makes music so great!

NICK5L
Admin

View user profile http://vizzutti.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Best experience

Post  Ric232 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 am

I picked up the trumpet again about 4 years ago after being away from it for 25 years. One of the first things I did when I gained back the interest was to search for Allen Vizzutti on YouTube. I found his performance of Carnival of Venice with a small ensemble in Hungary from a few years ago. I almost fell out of my chair. I wish I could get my hands on a good recording of that performance. I'd certainly be willing to pay for it. Anyway, I've since driven 3 hrs on two separate occasions to have the pleasure of seeing Allen live at the University of South Carolina; once in a clinic session and once in a recital with Laura (who is an extraordinary musician as well).

BTW, I also love video of him playing the Telemann Concerto in D on piccolo trumpet at the same performance in Hungary. Now I'm aspiring to play the first movement on C trumpet (down a step, of course) at my church. I have some range-building to do first.

Thanks, Allen, for sharing your monumental talent, your efforts in promoting music education, and being a downright great guy.

Ric232

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Comment from AV

Post  Allen_Vizzutti on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:50 am

Your story and kind words are appreciated. AV
Allen_Vizzutti
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best Vizzutti Memory

Post  Ron79 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Allen was in Syracuse, NY for a series of events over the course of a few days, and was playing with the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra. I can't recall the year, but I think it was around 94, or 95 and it was winter (which for Syracuse can be anytime from September through June lol).
I had been playing the trumpet for about two years by then, and my teacher always used to tell us that the best piece of advice he could give us was to go see Allen Vizzutti play live. He always told us that once you saw how relaxed he played, and how well everything sounded, it would completely change the way you approached you playing. So I went out to one of the record stores, and bought an Allen Vizzutti CD just so I could hear what he sounded like. Needless to say I was blown away! I had to see this guy.
As fate would have it, there was a snow storm, and I came down with some sort of flu, and missed the first concert. While reading about the concert in the paper the next morning I learned that he would be giving another performance at the Sacred Heart church, which was only about a mile up the road. After finally convincing my mother to let me go I bundled up in a few sweaters, and set out in the freezing cold, and walked up to see the performance. I must have looked like the town lunatic by the time I got there, but I payed no attention to the funny looks and found a good seat. It ended up being a baroque performance, and Allen was playing the piccolo trumpet. I could not fathom how he played so well, while making it look so effortless. I walked out of that performance with a whole new idea about playing.
By the time I hit my senior year I was playing well, and thought I would be going on to study music in college, but life happens, and I wound up in the navy instead. Now, like Ric232, I'm picking the trumpet back up after many years off, and did a web search for Allen Vizzutti, and saw the you tube videos. I'm still floored everytime I hear him play.

I'm sorry to ramble, but wanted to express my gratitude to Mr. Vizzutti for so much inspiration, education, and wonderful music. A finer trumpeter, or classier act you will not find.

Ron79

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best Vizzutti Experience?

Post  Kasha54 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:11 pm

This is easy. In 1972 I began studies at the University of Rochester. I chose it because it had the Eastman School of Music and I could continue studying trumpet. As I arrived for one of my first lessons in the old Annex I hear this unbelievable sound coming from one of the practice rooms. It was a trumpet, but I had never heard it played like THIS!! Flying up and down the registers, flawless fingering, attacks, intonation. Was like a demo of everything the horn was capable of and more. I sat outside the door of that practice room, listening dumbfounded. Was like a caveman seeing fire for the first time. I asked my teacher, old Charlie Starke, who it was. "Oh, that's Al Vizzutti. He's something, huh?" Understatement of the century. I often wondered how his teacher Sid Mears taught him. He was always including something new in his performances..like the first time him use circular breathing in a performance. The note went on forever. Seriously. People went out for a cigarette and came back before he'd finished.

Rayburn Wright ran an amazing Jazz program and I never missed a performance of what I thought of as the greatest university jazz ensemble ever. Allen Vizzutti and Jeff Tyzik in the trumpet section. Getting to hear Allen's early jazz compositions.

These were great experiences. But not the best.

February 18, 1975 at Kilbourn Hall. Allen's Artist's Diploma Recital, only such diploma every given by Eastman to a wind player. I have heard it is legend. All I know is that it was the most batshit nuts performance on the trumpet I have ever heard or will ever hear. It was so long it even had an Intermission!

Concerto No. 2 Johann Melchoir Molter
The Hollow Men Persichetti
Concerto for Trumpet Chaynes
Intermission
Nine Black Riders fantasy for trumpet and piano Vizzutti
Concert de Printemps Pour Trompette Bondon

Classical, technical, AvantGarde... he covers everything. It ends. The crowd is going nuts! He's our hero. No trumpet player could do what he did. Most lips would be chopped meat by now. So what does he do? An encore. Not just any little encore. He does the Carnival of Venice (didn't become Venus yet). Every trumpet-playing Arban lover's favorite. Flawless and beautiful...and goes up an octave! Not possible!!! Not after that program. And ends on a note that drives every dog in Rochester crazy. At least this is the way I remember it. Was the last time I heard him play live. The fog of the years may have distorted it, and I hope I was accurate about the pieces, but it remains my favorite memory.

Kasha54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Vizzutti Experiences/Memories

Post  NICK5L on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for sharing.

The note went on forever. Seriously. People went out for a cigarette and came back before he'd finished.

Love this.

NICK5L
Admin

View user profile http://vizzutti.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Vizzutti Experiences/Memories

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum