Multiple Embouchures

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Multiple Embouchures

Post  Dukeoftrumpet on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Greetings Mr.Vizzutti,
Earlier this year I had a dilemma: I had to hit a high-D on my trumpet solo. This was a problem for me. I tried working on my range with the book 'Daily Stuff' and Herbert Clarke's 'Characteristic Studies'. When I went to school after about a month, I found, to my chagrin, I could not hit the high-D- I would fall back to a C and struggle to hit it again (leading to only more embarrassment).
Finally, I hit upon a new technique. This was having two embouchures. One for playing with a nice tone, another for blasting out high notes. Is this acceptable? Normal?
Months later, I developed out this second embouchure as much as possible. I now have a consistent double Ab (thanks to your song "Firedance"!!!) and sometimes even a double C. What I really am trying to ask here is what should I do from here? I have finally practiced enough to hit a high-D on my original embouchure, after months and months, but want to get a higher range. I also want to get my second embouchure in line as well.
Where to go, Mr.Vizzutti?!?
Dukeoftrumpet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple Embouchures

Post  Allen_Vizzutti on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I am not able to use multiple embouchures. I know some people who can do this. It's always to get upper notes. Actually what it usually involves is a different lower jaw position. When I experimented with this sort of thing a long time ago I almost ruined myself finding I couldn't play well on any embouchure. Having had a scare I never messed with it again.

If you are progressing well without side effects I say go for it. if you find you can't play well on your original embouchure at some point then that's a problem. Be wise but not frightened. You may be on of those who can pull it off.
Allen_Vizzutti
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dukeoftrumpet on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Thank you Mr.Vizzutti! Actually, sometimes the second embouchure does mess with my first embouchure. It makes it almost impossible to play on either of them. This happens about once every 4-8 weeks. I will keep in mind what you said. Thank you again.
Dukeoftrumpet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum