Mouthpiece Switching and Efficiency

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mouthpiece Switching and Efficiency

Post  DGP on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello Mr.Vizzutti,

I saw you last year around this time when you were the clinician at The University of Alabama Birmingham Brass Symposium. You and I were able to have a short discussion on switching mouthpieces to get a darker or brighter sound to fit in specific ensembles. I still have yet to find two mouthpieces with identical rims that work for me so I have to play one of two mouthpieces depending on the demands of my day. I have tried many things with matching rims such as the Wayne Bergeron Gr's and found that I only like the lead piece and not the classical piece.

Until I can afford custom work and feel comfortable with purchasing custom work, should I practice more on the lead piece (Bergeron GR) or the classical piece(Bach 6c)? The reason I ask this is because day to day, when I have to play one or the other it feels as though I take a few steps back. Specifically on the lead piece, if I have taken a few days off from it due to rehearsing in a more classical setting I find it takes 3-4 days to get settled back into it and playing efficiently.

I do believe strongly in efficiency, it is how I have been taught since high school. I also believe you have to have the right equipment for the job. If you need more information or need me to be more specific please let me know. I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Drew

DGP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mouthpieces

Post  Allen_Vizzutti on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 am

Most players I have talked to about using multiple mouthpieces practice most of the time on their larger piece.
Allen_Vizzutti
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top