Claude Gordon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Claude Gordon

Post  Oliver Hix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 am

What are your thoughts on the Claude Gordon 'method'? I recently read 'Brass Playing is no harder than Deep Breathing' and looked at some beginning exercises in the Systematic Approach. Some ideas helped me, but I'm weary of what seems like a 'you must do exactly this or you can't be good' idea. I was weary of the insistence on K-tongue modified as the only way to go. Do you do that? It also seemed maybe a little stiff or power-heavy in terms of concept? Any thoughts? In your trumpet clinic video you said you don't have/like one of those 4 hour routines that takes all of your time; is CG one such thing?

Also a strange breathing question: when you play, does it feel like you blow air just into your mouth, into the leadpipe (i.e. blow across the lips), straight through to the bell, something else?

Thanks!

Aaron.

Oliver Hix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Claude Gordon

Post  Allen_Vizzutti on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:47 am

I knew CG. He was from my home state Montana, but I knew him in California. With the acknowledgment that one can probably learn something from all of the established method books, I will say that the concepts and practice techniques touted in CG's Systematic Approach are pretty much opposite to those that I believe work well. Your observation of stiffness resulting from working out of that book is pervasive and not a good or desirable result. Those who feel they are helped by GG's book, well, fantastic. I implore all of you to remember though, that the goal is to make beautiful music not to use trumpet as an assault weapon of an athletic event. Some people enjoy using the trumpet as a tool to separate the men from the boys, or girls, to work mostly on range and power as an aspiration. That's cool I guess but I'm not interested in that or those type players.

Regarding blowing, I project air over my tongue and feel, or "ride" the resistance of the air column as it meets the resistance of the gear. Physically I blow at the mouthpiece, conceptually I imagine the air / sound projecting through the horn, out the bell and beyond. Mostly, though I just breath in in a relaxed way and smoothly project the air out while listening to my sound or the musical phrase.
Allen_Vizzutti
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Hix on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Ok thanks very much! I had to laugh when you talked about the trumpet as an assault weapon I totally agree!

Thanks as always!

Aaron.

Oliver Hix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top