To Buzz, or Not to Buzz?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Buzz, or Not to Buzz?

Post  Oliver Hix on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Mr. Vizzutti-

Let me say first that the advice you gave me in another post has helped tremendously in the past week and I've seen huge improvements in just a week's time. Very exciting.

This isn't really about buzzing because I think I am fully on board with the idea that you don't make the lips buzz to play trumpet ('blow don't buzz' as you've said in other posts). I have questions about mouthpiece buzzing.

I've heard/read that since the mouthpiece is too short to create a standing wave like the one created when actually playing the trumpet one shouldn't play the mouthpiece at all. I assume you disagree with this, and if so, why? What benefits are there to playing the mouthpiece and how different is it from actually playing the horn?

How much do you play the mouthpiece? I was told at one point to do things like: play a line of Clarke study #1, then gliss on the mouthpiece that interval, then slot each note of the line on the mouthpiece, then go back to the horn, and continue for all exercises that I play, all music as well. Does this sound wise? Do you play the mouthpiece only during the warmup, and are there benefits to or problems with playing the mouthpiece all throughout practice sessions?

Also I notice when playing the mouthpiece that around low C there is this strange thing that feels like a partial on the mouthpiece, sort of sounds and feels like going from chest voice (mouthpiece below low c) and head voice / falsetto (anything above low c). The sound is less full above low c, and the low mouthpiece notes feel like they are being sucked out of my face while the above low c notes don't feel that way. Is that normal? What would explain this? The physics of the mouthpiece? I notice a similar thing on the horn although it is less drastic.

I got away from mouthpiece playing some time ago and just started doing it again today after reading some other posts on here so I thought I'd ask what your thoughts on these things are.

Today I noticed that buzzing a lot tired out the face. I also noticed playing on the horn sounded and felt different than the past week. Can't tell if it's a good different or not.

Thanks very much!

Aaron.

Last edited by Oliver Hix on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a thought)

Oliver Hix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why I play the mouthpiece alone

Post  Allen_Vizzutti on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:48 pm

I play the mouthpiece occasionally listening to the quality of the sound. I use it in the beginning of warm up and have found it to be helpful to players young and old. I'm talking a few seconds to a few minutes. I play the mouthpiece in the car on the way to work sometimes too. I remain diligently aware of the amount of pressure I am using when I play the mouthpiece. i don't play the mouthpiece by itself everyday. It's fine if you do as long as if feels good, relaxing and makes your chops feel fresh. Otherwise don't do it.

I never thought about the standing wave in regards to the mouthpiece. There is a low note area for all of us that doesn't center on a sound very well. I just go for smooth connected sound while sliding and playing scales and arpeggios. Conceptually, I blow the mouthpiece the same as the trumpet physics not withstanding.
Allen_Vizzutti
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Buzz, or Not to Buzz?

Post  Oliver Hix on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 am

Ok thanks very much. I've gotten away from it the past few days because I didn't like the tone color I was getting when I went back to the horn. Maybe I'll get into it again in the future.

Thanks

Aaron.

Oliver Hix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Buzz, or Not to Buzz?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top